Monday, February 8, 2010

Rebranding American Value

To begin with, this project and the images included here are from The Dollar ReDe$ign Project

It's a sort of activism exercise that recognizes that the value of the American dollar has gone to almost nil in the eyes of our foreign counterparts, and that perhaps a rebranding is in order. The entire blog is different submissions of proposed new designs for the US dollar.

I think it would be kind of wonderful if we could get a full rebranding of the dollar to happen (as, let's face it, our paper money is not nearly as beautiful as some other nations out there). While I give our country some credit for attempting recently to embellish our current design a little more, there is so much potential for the dollar to be so much more.

Here are just a few of the ones I liked:



Although I realize this one lacks the sturdiness for longevity, as most likely the ink would wipe off in a day like atm receipts, I like the idea behind it. It very much describes an aspect of the American culture, as more and more of the things in our life are becoming automated and self-activated. This reminds me of how Vegas broke my heart the first time I went there. Naturally, as a kid I envisioned playing the slot machines and hitting the jackpot and having coins upon coins pour out of the winner's slot at me. But when I actually made it to the city, they no longer give out this flow of instant earnings; they print out a receipt for you. Which very much looks like this dollar design, so in a way I like it because it is already a half-truth.



This design I mostly appreciate for the color scheme, as I mildly loath the watered down olive green of our current paper money. You can tell this one was influenced by other foreign designs, with the blending of imagery in the layers, and the coloring as well. I like the imagery of industrialism on the top one, as it adds a level of history.



Okay, and this one I wouldn't seriously consider as a worthy design (for obvious reasons), but I respect that it's a reflection of how our money is being valued lately. And let's face it, I wouldn't put it past our country to start selling ad space on the very dollar itself (although I think our government still views the dollar as sacred so hopefully this wouldn't actually happen).



Rather than use imagery, this design made room for actual text of what our country is supposed to value. Again, the design isn't a far stretch, but I understand the idea of having a daily reminder in your pocket of what our country is supposed to stand for.



This one is what I can most plausibly see being accepted as a new design. It's a clean design, and I like the varying use of colors, as well as the vertical approach. It also pays homage to not only important figures in our country's history, but important achievements our country has made, as well as memorable monuments. Any rebrand that focuses on the good of the company is a strategically sound one.

So there's that. I thought I'd write about something other than the Super Bowl Ads, cause, let's face it, that criticism popped up on twitter as soon as they aired, and I don't doubt there will be plenty of opinions going around. Consider this just another write-up of something American.

-suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment