Tuesday, March 30, 2010

How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer

How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer is a book compiled by Debbie Millman. Although the title is slightly deceiving, this book is still a great read so far. It is not a how-to-be-great book, but rather a compilation of interviews with some of the most influential designers in modern history. A lot of what these designers are saying really rings true for me and I just wanted to share a couple of excerpts.

I'm not too far along just yet, but already what I've read has been influential and inspiring.

Michael Bierut: "It doesn't matter if you didn't have enough time or if the client was an idiot. The only thing that counts is what you've designed, and whether it's good or bad."

This quote is the kind of slap in the face you need sometimes when you look around and realize all you've been creating at your job is rushed quick solutions to pushy clients' problems. You know, how most of the work you create at your job isn't the kind of stuff you'd put into a portfolio.

Milton Glaser (the guy who designed I<3NY): Question: how important was financial success when you first started out?
Answer: "Not at all. i never had the model of financial success as being the reason to work. For me, work was about survival, I had to work in order to have any sense of being human. If I wasn't working or making something, I was very nervous and unstable."

I love this response. Because this is exactly how I feel some days. Like if I go too many days without creating something I feel like I'm going to explode.

Mostly I like this book because, although she is interviewing design royalty, their thought-processes and beliefs are still very human and relatable. Reading it makes me feel like I'm somewhat in the right mindset for being the creative person I'd like to be. If you get a chance, you should definitely check this book out. It's an easy read since you can stop between interviews and they're mostly short and to the point responses.

Enjoy!
Suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment